This is more or less a list of thoughts I've been having lately thinking about Twitter, Facebook, the modern web, modern culture, etc. Every time I post something on Twitter that blows up I inevitably get a bunch of angry quote retweets accusing me of fifty million things by people who are seemingly incapable of feeling any emotion other than anger in response to literally anything. I've sorta dumped all those individual "blocks of thought" here and will sorta add more as I think of them. Everything below this point might sound really preachy, but uhhh... I don't care because I'm cool.
THE PART WHERE YOU REALIZE THIS ISN'T ACTUALLY A MANIFESTO BUT IS MORE OR LESS ME JUST RAMBLING HOW I FEEL ABOUT CERTAIN TOPICS:
- Social media has mutated modern society into reactionary extremism with little room for intelligent critical discourse. People jump to conclusions, hate without reason, and rip each other apart in 280 characters or less.
- Alternative fashion is a form of self-expression that, like user profile customizability online, is a dying breed of individuality.
- Irony is a poison that will destroy your soul. It can lead to a passionless, hollow outlook on life and the world around you, causing confusion and emptiness in moments of emotion. Free yourself from its judgmental shackles!
- Dark times are constant and part of the human experience. Understand that passion and creativity can both prevail and be born from this darkness. Never stop expressing yourself. You're the only "you" you've got.
- Never feel embarrassed or ashamed of your emotions. Your feelings are unique and your ability to feel is a gift. Be happy, be sad, be whatever, but use anger wisely as outrage and wrath can destroy you from within.